State of Affairs
Currently the world of Ruengoethe, though used to grand world wars, is going through a period of general unrest that anyone who pays attention to this sort of thing can see is going to culminate into some grand crisis. This unrest, while pervasive, is not like the great wars fought in Ruengoethe’s past, and the general peace held between the powerful nations has allowed for startling advancement in certain fields. Some ongoing events are listed below:
- The economic effects of inflation generated by the discovery of rich silver and gold deposits in the interior of Pachiomadio have created problems within most of the more developed world, as well as the shift from a slave-based economy to a free one in Ackenzal.
- A series of wars in the Western continents, especially the recent successful rebellion in the Zapandi colonies as well as the surge in tribal warfare in the Steppes region. Many tribespeople are converting to the way of the Lord of Skies and Waters, and they are attempting to convert the rest of the nomads by way of the spear.
- Kingdoms are funding exploratory ventures to new lands, scientists and sorcerers have the time to spend their intellect on inventions to better the lives of their fellows rather than end them, and enterprising merchants are establishing stable trade routes between kingdoms.
- In Ackenzal, the biggest concern to safety comes from the Char, the vast stretch of scarred land that has given birth to another race of giants, warped from the effects of the latest starfall. These giants are raiding the border towns of Ganza, and the nobles of Ganza are making a push in parliament to have the Crown-Elect provide more forces to man the border. These persistent raids, in addition to the recent civil war over the issue of slavery, have led to a vast migration within Ackenzal, generally toward the capital of the country. This in turn has led to the usual problems of rapid urbanization, as well as a new development within the political structure of Ackenzal. The newly formed middle class has acquired representation in the parliament with the House of Guilds, which has instituted educational and economic reform throughout the nation.
- In Esgalgrath the relative peace has brought a resurgence in the sciences and tuning arts. The union between the Delvers and the Giants has allowed for developments in the realms of optics, mathematics, navigation, astronomy, and Erilazdry. The Delvers invention of the Aetherskriver, a device that allows for the transmission of the written word across the Loom, has had a huge effect on the way the political world functions. There is some unrest in the Delve over whether the Delvers should form their own nation or keep their current existence as de facto citizens of Helligimark, and rumors of war are circulating.
*In the Radiant Empire widespread famine, instigated by a drought and acerbated by political unrest, in addition to the two decades of warfare between the two main ethnic groups has led to massive depopulation. Census takers estimate that a fourth of the population has perished in the past thirty years.